At the November 3, 2022, City Council meeting, City Council approved an ordinance (Ord 22-XX) establishing requirements and regulations for the operation of properties as Short-Term Rentals (STR) in the City of Alvin. Through the establishment of this ordinance, a permit will be required for a residential property to operate as a STR within the city limits.
Any residential property that is rented out on a short-term basis - for a period of fewer than 30 days is considered a short-term rental. Short-term rentals include homes that are listed for rent on sites such as Airbnb, VRBO Vacation Rentals, HomeAway, etc.
The funds collected through Short Term Rentals are essential to consider a part of the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) visitors are charged when they stay in an Alvin hotel. The funds are used to promote the long-term development and marketing of Alvin as a destination to increase tourism, sales, and service. In the past, the HOT funds are used for things like the Alvin Foodie Trail, Tour de Braz bike ride event, and help local organizations’ events through the Hot Grant.
The City has contracted with GovOS, a third-party vendor, to help set up the online application and permitting process and identify all active STR's within the City. In the coming months, those owning and operating a STR will be contacted to submit an application for a permit.
Some of the items/ information needed for the application are:
- Proof of home ownership and contact information of homeowner.
- 24-hour emergency contact who is a designated agent who authorize is to respond to concerns over the rental within one hour.
- The number of bedrooms to be used for the Short-Term Rental Occupancy.
- Acknowledgment of receipt of a copy of this Article and the Owner’s agreement to comply with all provisions of this Article as a condition to issuance of a permit.
- Location of Fire Extinguisher.
- Maximum number of Occupancy
- Description of the required off-street parking requirements
- Written prohibition against the use of the property as a party/entertainment venue; or any commercial/non-residential use.
- Working CO detectors
- Working smoke detector (110v interconnected w/ battery backup) installed in hallways
- Working smoke detector (110v interconnected w/ battery backup) installed in bedrooms
When setting up for account for the STR tax, it is important to look over the requirements established by the Ordinance 22- XX. There can be no external on-site or off-site advertising signs or displays indicating a property as a STR. Two adult guests per bedroom, but no more than 2 additional adults allowed in the STR. There is a maximum occupancy of 10 persons, including adults and children. The owner will provide off-street parking on the premises to ensure that the renter understands that guests that park in the public right of way shall do so legally and in a manner that respects neighboring properties.
Renter’s must understand that the STR is not meant to be used as a party venue. Some items that are not considered lawful to use as a STR within Alvin City limits are items like tents, RV campers, or other vehicles.