Charter Review Commission
What is a City Charter? A charter is a document that establishes the city’s governmental structure and provides for the distribution of powers and duties among the various branches of government. This document can be more restrictive. In order to be implemented, the charter must be approved by the people at an election. Likewise, changes in the charter must be approved by a vote of the people.
The Alvin City Charter states that the city council shall appoint a Charter Review Commission consisting of seven (7) citizens of the city every four (4) years, but not earlier than two (2) years.
The Alvin Charter Review Commission is tasked with the following:
- Inquire into the adequacy of, consistency with state and federal law, and correctness of Charter provisions to determine whether any such provisions require revision. To this end one or more public hearings may be held and the commission shall have the power to compel attendance of the city manager and/or city attorney and to require the submission of any of the city records which it may consider necessary to its duties. Issues regarding charter compliance shall be referred to city council for investigation and disposition;
- Make any recommendation it considers desirable to update and/or revise the provisions of the Charter;
- Propose amendments to this Charter to improve the effective application of said Charter to current conditions;
- Report its findings and present its proposed amendments, if any, to the council.
2023 Charter Review Commission Members
- Jennifer Ahlbaum; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Caiden Anderson; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Adam Arendell; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Ashley Davis; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Bob Dillman; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Stephen Garcia; Appointed 6/1/2023
- Jason Jones; Appointed 6/1/2023
City Attorney, Staff Liaison, 281-388-4227
The previous Charter Review Commission served in 2020, see information below.
- 2020 Charter review commission members
- 2020 Charter Review Report
- 2020 Charter Review Minutes
- 2020 Charter Propositions
- Lindsey Vaughn, Chair; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Beth Nelson, Vice Chair; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Nicole Kelinske, Secretary; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Richard Garivey; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Cary Perrin; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Donna Starkey; Appointed 6/18/2020
- Heather Van Dine; Appointed 6/18/2020
City Attorney, Staff Liaison, 281-388-4237
The 2020 Charter Review Commission Report was submitted to City Council on Thursday, December 17, 2020.
The Report can be reviewed here in its entirety.