Boards & Commissions
The City of Alvin encourages citizen participation in municipal government and welcomes your interest in serving on a city board or commission. Serving on a board or commission is an opportunity to "get involved" in the community and the operations of your local government, and encourages anyone interested to apply for a position.
List of Boards and Commissions:
- Animal Shelter Advisory Committee
- Building Board of Adjustments and Appeals
- Charter Review Commission
- Civil Service Commission - Please note that the Civil Service Commission has a separate application that can be found on the Civil Service page.
- Cultural Diversity Commission
- Parks and Recreation Board
- Planning Commission
- Public Library Board
- Senior Citizens Board
Applying to Serve
Citizens who are interested in serving on one of the following boards or commissions must complete the Application to Serve on a Board or Commission. Those board or commission members whose term have expired and wish to continue serving on a board or commission are asked to complete a Re-Serve Application. The Form may be:
- completed electronically through the PDF document and submitted via email
- completed and submitted through the online portal
- printed and completed and then mailed or hand delivered to the Office of the City Secretary.
- a hard copy of the form may be picked up in the City Secretary's Office and submitted in person.
- Application to Serve on a Board or Commission
- Application to Re-Serve on a Board or Commission (returning members)
A signed and completed Application to Serve on a Board or Commission or a Re-Serve Application (for returning members) must be submitted to the City Secretary's office for consideration. The City Secretary will notify all applicants in writing regarding the interview process. Appointments are made by City Council in December of each year. Terms begin in January.
Boards & Commissions Handbook
The Board & Commission Handbook is a great tool for current board and commission members or for those who are interested in becoming more involved. This document discusses the various boards and commissions, the appointment process, meeting requirements, and a code of conduct for elected and appointed officials.
Please contact the City Secretary's Office if you have additional questions.